RESIDENTS MEETING

The Parish Council are arranging a residents meeting on Saturday 15th January 2022, 10am to 2pm, Yelvertoft Independent Chapel.
The meeting will:
* Decide upon Freeman of the Parish.
* Presentation on Speedwatch.
* Information boards on topics such as flooding, KGV Field proposed improvements and climate plans.
Councillors will be available to speak to throughout the meeting and answer any questions you may have.
Please do save the date as we would love to see you there.

Save the date

Christmas 2021 – Refuse collection

Recycling 

Additional recycling can be presented alongside your bins or boxes in clear sacks or in additional boxes.

It can also be taken to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre. Centres will open as normal except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day, when they will be closed, and Christmas Eve when they will close early at 2pm. Find your nearest at www.westnorthants.gov.uk/hwrc

Garden waste 

Garden waste collection services across West Northants will be suspended from 27 December until 7 January.

Real Christmas trees 

Real Christmas trees will be collected in the weeks beginning 10 and 17 January.

If you live in the Daventry and South Northants area, please place your trees next to your garden waste bins.

If you live in Northampton please place your tree next to your recycling bin. Residents on sack collection rounds should present their trees beside their recycling boxes and green sacks on their collection day

To help our collection crews, please ensure trees over 6ft tall are cut up into manageable pieces.

Find out more 

Download your 2022 bin collection calendar and check your collection day at www.westnorthants.gov.uk/bincollections

Check what goes in each bin or box, plus general information about waste and recycling at www.westnorthants.gov.uk/waste

Report a missed collection 

Any missed collections can be reported via our online self-serve system: https://www.westnorthants.gov.uk/bins-recycling-and-street-cleaning/missed-bin-collections

 

DIRFT extending towards Yelvertoft – Consultation

West Northamptonshire Strategic Plan – Spatial Options Consultation

West Northamptonshire Council is preparing a new Strategic Plan which will cover the period up to 2050.

The Options Consultation is the second stage in preparing the new Plan [after the Issues Consultation], no decisions have been made yet and the purpose of the document is to seek views on a Vision, Spatial Objectives and Development Options at this stage.

WNC have produced a Spatial Options Consultation document which includes a series of questions on which they would like our views. There is also an additional opportunity to put forward ideas for potential development sites through a further ‘call for sites’ exercise.

The Spatial Options Consultation document and background documents including the call for sites form are available on the Strategic Plan consultation website.

The Parish Council have submitted a response which is available below.  We encourage all residents to respond to the consultation. We are also contacting our local District Councillors and MP to support our views.

The consultation period closes at midnight on Monday 6 December 2021. DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL 12 NOON ON 24TH DECEMBER. 

We spotted an error in Appendix 3, Availability Assessment, error on line 139 – Yelvertoft.  It states that we have a regular  daily bus service to Towcester. WNC have confirmed that this will be corrected.

You can inspect a hard copy of the Options Consultation document in West Northamptonshire Council’s Offices at Lodge Road, Daventry, The Guildhall, Northampton and all public libraries in West Northamptonshire during normal opening hours.

How to comment:

The easiest way to respond is online via the consultation website.  Word versions of the response forms are also available on the website. Paper copies of response forms are available at the Councils’ offices and public libraries in West Northamptonshire and on request from the Strategic Planning team (email: or call 0300 126 1900 [the line is open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday]).

Box 3a (number 21 on the application form) is the section concerning the proposed extension of DIRFT towards Yelvertoft. The Parish Council have completed that section. 

Hard copies of the response forms can be returned by post to: West Northamptonshire Planning Team, The Guildhall, St Giles Square, Northampton, NN1 1DE or electronically to:

PARISH COUNCIL RESPONSE

Number 21, section 3A:

21 Do you agree that spatial option 3a – Land to the East of DIRFT – has the potential to deliver employment development?

 

No Please provide comments to support your answer. Climate Change

Climate change should be top of the agenda. The large scale and nature of this development in such a rural setting is out of character with the open landscape and would be unacceptably obtrusive with a loss of much habitat, species, flora and fauna, and natural drainage.

Extending any form of development across the current defined boundary would cause an unacceptable impact on the setting of the surrounding agricultural landscape and nearby villages, including Yelvertoft. Existing non-agricultural land uses such as the wind turbines, solar farm, trail bike area and Barby gun club  are all temporary uses where the land could be easily returned to agriculture.

There will be a loss of a lot of agricultural land resulting in an economic impact on existing farm holdings and a reduction in food production at a time when there is a national concern about self-sufficiency and food miles.

The development would displace existing wind turbines and therefore reduce a source of renewable energy.

The development is contrary to the spirit of the local authority’s declaration of a climate emergency and national sustainability objectives and policies.

Flooding

A significant proportion of the option area is defined by the Environmental Agency on its “Risk of Flooding from Surface Water” map being “ in an area that has a HIGH chance of flooding from surface water. This means that each year, this area has a chance of flooding of greater than 1 in 30 (3.3%).”  Yelvertoft is one of the highest flooding areas in Northants so this land could cause further surface water drainage problems.

Further information on the flood risk should be published.

All new development should be sustainable and not be built in an area with a very high flood problem.

Bridleway

The bridleway is not shown as a weakness in the plan and should be.

 

Councillor and Clerk Monthly Reports – Nov 2021

Cllr Julie Cottle Report (October meeting report)

Grass Mowing

I have been advised by a volunteer who has mown and maintained the KGV Field and Allotment Field for many years, that he intends to retire at the end of this current mowing season.  Not only does he do all the mowing, but he maintains the tractor and mowing equipment which is kept at the Village Hall. Decisions need to be made regarding the future maintenance of these fields, and also, if it is viable to keep the tractor.

KGV Field

I have established a working group of 5 including myself to review the results and comments on the survey and to report back to Council. I will be arranging a meeting as soon as possible but unfortunately this will not be before our meeting in October due to holiday commitments.

Cemetery

We had cattle from the neighbouring field get into the cemetery last week but I’m pleased to report due to the speedy reaction from the farmer and supported by our volunteer the cemetery is once again clean and tidy with no apparent damage to any gravestones.

Tarry’s End

I have eventually heard from the contractor PC agreed to carry out the work in Tarry’s End and he will be starting work soon.  No date given yet. I will pass this information on to Councillor Parker.

Christmas Tree

It has been suggested we plant a permanent Christmas tree on the Green next to the Memorial but I feel we are running out of time to achieve this for Christmas 2021 so I suggest we plan to do this for 2022.  I am liaising with a resident on this.

Cllr Chris Bolton Report

Street Lighting

  • Nothing to note

Highways

  • Potholes – as always, any potholes or highway issues needs to be reported via Fix My Street
  • Crick Road Railings – Site visit from Northants Highways 7th October – waiting for update
  • Cycle way/footpath – followed up with Highways and this has been put on hold until the new contract year. Resident informed
  • Ward’s Lane – continuing to liaise with Highways and resident

Solar Farm

  • Contact with company made and now working with them on community fund and development schedule.

Housing development – Hillmorton Lane

  • Site visit (26th) to Lilbourne development.
  • Update from Whiterock at Parish Council meeting on 8th November

Speed Sign Project

  • This will be taken forward as funds have already been allocated. It should be noted that the speed sign will now be solar-powered:
    –     Section 50 application to be completed (Clerk/Councillor Bolton)
    –     Funding application to be completed (Clerk/Councillor Bolton)
    –     Supplier (Traffic Technology) to be advised (Councillor Bolton)

Clerk’s Report

CEMETERY

The storage container has been paid for and will hopefully be sited shortly.  Cllr Nicholls has chased the supplier and they have advised that they will deliver once a container becomes available (there is a shortage at present).

Burials

Quite busy this month with various communications answering queries, two Exclusive Rights of Burial requests have been received and processed, two memorial applications, two burials (one cancelled last minute), and one internment of ashes has been arranged.

Cemetery headstone inspection training

I attended the headstone memorial training with NCALC on 30th September.  It was very useful and confirmed we are acting correctly.   I am going to make some improvements which I will bring to Council for approval.

Audit

I am pleased to say that the external auditor has signed off the 2020/21 audit with no comment. A minor observation was made as to the public exercise of rights which I have added to the agenda.  I’ve had communication with the auditor as they couldn’t seem to get their head around us paying interest on the st light loan.  They have accepted it and have signed off the audit.

MAINTENANCE CONTRACTOR

Ongoing maintenance of footpaths remains.  Complaints from residents have ceased which is great.

The volunteer who maintains the village planters is doing a great job and has been thanked again.  She is willing to take on the Diamond Jubilee garden also which is great news.  She has suggested a red, white and blue theme ready for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.

The small claims court application has been placed against the previous contractor who is holding our signs.  He has texted to say he will drop the signs off to me but nothing received so far.

GRASS

We have been asked to mow the verges around the Catholic Church as the church has not been doing this since the pandemic.  Norse have added it to their mowing schedule at no extra cost.

Village Directory

I have spent considerable time updating the village directory listings and trying to obtain payment.  So many do not respond or do not update their details.  A lot of companies have been removed from the directory as they have not paid and are not responding to my correspondence. I am continuing to chase, collect payment, update details, and advertise for new entries.

Archiving

I am working on making all the cemetery correspondence electronic.  Scanning it all is taking a lot of time but it will be a worthwhile exercise and add to efficiency in the future.

NEW STREET SAFE SCHEME

StreetSafe is a pilot service for anyone to anonymously tell the police about public places where you have felt or feel unsafe, because of environmental issues, eg street lighting, abandoned buildings or vandalism and/or because of some behaviours, eg being followed or verbally abused.

Please note: ‘StreetSafe’ is not for reporting crime or incidents.

If something has happened to you or someone you know (including in public spaces online) you can call us on 101 or find out what online reporting services are available.

If you’re unsure whether something is a crime or not, read our advice.

Further information available at https://www.police.uk/StreetSafe?fbclid=IwAR0QSpW_p3cYX8p32P4tK-EWDhigvu3Std3NzqAZ_sBS6MbAkEIalsDR9fc

Yelvertoft Pumpkin Festive all set for Halloween

Following the success of the 2020 Yelvertoft pumpkin festival which saw 40 displays entered around the village, Yelvertoft Pre-School Committee are organising a repeat event on Sunday 31st October, Halloween.

Parent-led committee members of the Yelvertoft pre school are calling for entries for the 2nd annual pumpkin festival. Organiser and father of three, Jason Adams, is hoping to see imaginative pumpkin displays created throughout the village, leading up to Sunday 31st October, Halloween.

Jason commented that ‘Last year over £600 was raised for the children at Yelvertoft Pre-School’. ‘This year we would like to try and aim for a similar figure so that we are able to purchase a waterproof awning for the children to be able to continue to play outside, even if the weather is slightly inclement’. ‘We are so fortunate to have such a wonderful rural location for pre-school, with a dedicated staff team, and so it’s important to us as parents and volunteers of the setting to be able to create an environment that enhances the outdoor space and encourages open-ended play through the Curiosity Approach we have adopted’.

The committee are grateful to B & A Dairies for their continued sponsorship towards the event. Ian Grimsley of B & A Dairies said ‘We are hugely supportive of the 2021 Yelvertoft pumpkin festival’. ‘The village of Yelvertoft has shown tremendous support towards the company and myself personally’. ‘I have been delivering milk and goods to the community and surrounding villages for the past 25 years’.  Last year’s event was an incredible event although I did get a shock when I drove round doing my milk round at 5am early one morning seeing all the spooky displays!!’.

The preschool committee wish to inspire everyone of all ages, to enter the competition and raise funds to provide the children with resources for our countryside setting.

Pumpkin displays of any shape or size, should be entered into the competition by midnight on Tuesday 26th October by visiting: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/yelvertoftpumpkinfest21?utm_term=pKkb6DR7N

On Sunday 31st October between 10 and 3pm, anyone wishing to explore the village displays can pick up a map outside of Elkins Close and cast their vote on who should be crowned the winning display.

For more information on the event, visit Yelvertoft Pumpkin festival 2021 event page:  https://fb.me/e/3ZM57I7hF

 

Yelvertoft pre school is a small, curiosity approach inspired preschool, based in a rural setting on the Northamptonshire, Leicestershire and Warwickshire borders. Registered charity number: 1024632

For more information on Yelvertoft preschool please email:

 

 

 

Parish Councillor Vacancy

Parish Councillor Vacancy

Would you be interested in applying for a very rewarding position whereby you can really help and make a difference to the community?

Do you live in Yelvertoft?  You could have your say in:

  • Future planning & developments
  • Condition of the highways and pavements
  • Grass cutting and planting
  • What the tax payers money is spent on
  • The way the village looks
  • Plus lots more!

If this interests you then why not become a Parish Councillor.  We meet 10 times a year in the Reading Room on Monday evenings.  We currently have one vacancy and are looking to co-opt.

Interested?  Then please do contact Samantha Haywood, the Clerk, on 07305 801095 or email for further information and an application form, or click here Co Option Policy Oct 2018

Protect our Hedgerows

From CPRE:

Hedgerows are the unsung heroes of our countryside. They have been a defining feature for over a thousand years, bringing landscapes to life with character and beauty.

They connect habitats and provide pathways, shelter and sustenance for wildlife, while protecting the soil, cleaning the air and absorbing carbon emissions. They are nature’s key workers.  

But around half our hedgerows have been lost since the end of the Second World War. This has left us vulnerable to the threats of climate breakdown, while intensifying nature’s decline.

That’s why we’re calling on the government to commit to planting thousands of miles of hedges all across the country. 

Planting must start now, so will you join the call and demand that government takes action? 

Sign the petition

Our countryside is struggling to cope with climate breakdown and nature’s decline.

Frequent and fierce floods threaten people’s homes, businesses and lives. Unpredictable weather  makes it harder for farmers to grow our food.

And some of our most cherished wildlife like hedgehogs, bumblebees and butterflies have plummeted in numbers over the past half century.

Nature holds the key to help solve these crises and the humble hedgerow is a unique solution. 

The government’s own climate change advisors have said we need 40% more hedges by 2050. Can you add your name to make the government set this target? 

 
Yes, I will

To have any chance of stopping climate change and reversing the loss of nature, we need to act fast. Every day, month, year lost to inaction will lead to further harm to our countryside and the natural world.

But, if enough of us join together, the government will have to listen.

Until next time,

Maddy

CPRE The countryside charity 

PS: If you want to find out more about the campaign, check it out here.

Councillor and Clerk Monthly Reports – Sept 2021

Cllr Julie Cottle Report

  1. Tree works

The tree stumps have been removed from outside the school and in Brookside Close.  Topsoil and grass seed have been applied.  I’m pleased to say after checking each area, the seed has taken, and the grass is growing well.  We need to review this time next year with regards to replacing with new trees.

  1. KGV Field

The resident survey results are in, and we will be reporting on the results at the September meeting.

  1. Flooding/Canal Leak

I have been in contact with CRT, and they have informed me that the repair to the culvert under the canal will take place in the winter when it is quieter on the canal as they will probably have to drain a section of the canal for access.

  1. Footpaths

I am still waiting to hear from WNC regarding the footpath FP4, reported to Street Doctor.  I have also reported a broken stile on FP6 and a broken gate on FP8.

  1. Tarrys End

I have not heard from the contractor we awarded the Tarry’s End contract to. I will try to contact him again.

  1. Christmas Tree

I am looking into the feasibility and costs of planting a permanent Christmas tree on the Green near the memorial.

Cllr Chris Bolton Report

Street Lighting

Maintenance

  • Maintenance refund from EON received – £476.04.

Highways

  • Potholes – as always, any potholes or highway issues needs to be reported via Fix My Street
  • Crick Road railings – these have been damaged. Waiting for site visit from Northants Highways
  • Railings opposite the school – these have been repaired
  • Ward’s Lane – re-surfacing issue being picked up with residents and Northants Highways

Planning

Solar Farm

  • Bluefield LLP has appointed its main contractor – Bouygues. They were recently recognised as one of the top 10 solar EPC providers in the world by WikiSolar. Bluefield are still liaising with WPD on a connection date to allow works to begin.  I have chased regarding the community fund details and am awaiting a response.

Housing development – Hillmorton Lane

  • I have received an update from Whiterock. Some revisions to the site layout, following District Council comments, are being worked on which Whiterock will share with the PC once these have been agreed. Initial surveying work has been undertaken and a full planning application is expected to be made by the end of October.  Whiterock will keep us updated through myself and the Clerk.

New build

  • A planning application (WND/2021/0261) has been made for the construction of a dormer bungalow on the land to the rear of Manor Cottage, 92B High Street. The Council Planning Committee met to discuss this and decided to object to this on a number of grounds. Minutes of the Planning Committee can be found on the YPC website.

Speed Sign Project

  • A separate report with recommendations to the Parish Council has been made on this.

Clerk’s Report

CEMETERY

Burials

Quite busy this month with two internments, two exclusive rights of burials, two queries, and a headstone memorial request.

Cemetery headstone inspection training

It is best practice that the Burial Officer plus one other is trained in headstone inspections.  The recommended training is with BRAAM.  I have contacted them for training details but it was very expensive at £350 + VAT.  NALC are now running a course for £85 but with very limited numbers.  I have provisionally booked a place and added to this agenda for approval. This will compliment previous training undertaken.

TRAINING

I have booked a GDPR course and have attended many free webinars this month:

  • Northants ACRE – Going Green with Energy
  • Northants ACRE – Community Swap Shops and Food Growing Projects
  • Northants ACRE – natural capital, green infrastructure plans and the planning framework’
  • Northants ACRE – Rural projects to explore – setting up a community orchard’
  • Northants ACRE – The importance of village halls in rural life

AUDIT

The 2020/21 audit documentation was submitted to the external auditor in June and published on our website. Still no result received.

MAINTENANCE CONTRACTOR

The new groundsman contractor seems ok, albeit a bit slow as he is so busy.  He does respond to me quickly but takes 2-3 weeks to carry out work.  He has cleared all the alleys and the footpath by Troutbeck.

GRASS

There has been a couple more teething problems with Norse not cutting all the areas they should but they rectify them same day.  I cannot fault their service/customer service and I think the village is looking the best it has for a while.

Village Directory

I have spent considerable time updating the village directory listings and trying to obtain payment.  So many just do not respond or no not advise updates to their details.  A lot of companies have been removed from the directory as they have not paid and are not responding to my correspondence.

Archiving

I use August to do my annual archiving, clearing out etc.  Many files that are no longer needed have been shredded.  Minute books passed to the History Group.  I am working on making all the cemetery correspondence electronic.  Scanning it all is taking a lot of time.

Councillor & Clerk Monthly Reports – July 2021

Cllr Julie Cottle Report

Tree Works

The Mountain Ash in School Lane and the False Acacias in Brookside Close have been removed.  The stumps will be ground down and dressed with top soil.  Grass seed will be applied to all three in due course.

I have looked at the trees in Tarrys End as required by our tree survey and can report that all the trees appear to be healthy. I will continue to monitor them.

Tarrys End

I am in discussion with the contractor and still waiting to get the resurfacing work underway.

KGV Field

Survey is ready for printing.

Flooding

There was a leak in the canal which flooded down the Crick Bridleway.  I contacted CRT to report this immediately and it has been temporarily fixed.  I am liaising with CRT who will let me know when a permanent fix will be completed.

There is a need to raise the profile of the flooding problems in Yelvertoft.  Several residents have asked me what actions the Parish Council is taking to resolve the flooding situation. The Parish Council Flood Team should meet to formulate a response to the residents.  We should also be pressurising all the authorities on the actions they are taking to resolve Yelvertoft’s flooding problems.

Footpaths

Having received complaints about FP8, I have cleared and trimmed the grass and hedge concerned.  This is an area where volunteers would be particularly useful.

After receiving a complaint last month about FP8, I am pleased to report that a farmer has removed the manure heap and laid hardcore down to make the gateway easily passable.

FP15 Wards Lane to The Old Rectory is overgrown and requires clearing.

I have responded to WNC advertisement for Parish Path Warden for Yelvertoft.  Apparently, I will get training and support to carry out this role if successful.

Cemetery

Waiting for a delivery date on the new container.

Volunteers in the Village

I have become very aware recently of the excellent work our current volunteers are doing.  With the increase in growth of grass and hedgerows etc. the work has become demanding, so we are grateful of their support.

We need to officially thank John Nichols for mowing and keeping the KGV Field and Allotment Field tidy, Mr Sam Jarvis for the excellent work on tidying the Diamond Jubilee Garden recently.  We also need to thank Laurie Tedcastle and David McCullum for their continued hard work in the Cemetery and surrounding areas.  They do an amazing job whilst saving the Parish Council considerable revenue.

Cllr Chris Bolton Report

Street Lighting

Maintenance

  • Successfully negotiated a refund on street light maintenance. The amount is to be confirmed
  • Report that a light on Ward’s Lane is obscured by tree foliage. Requires attention – working with Clerk to resolve.

Highways

Speed Signs

  • Met with representative of Road Safety team to discuss speed signs. Proposal/motion in progress.

Potholes

  • There has been significant pot hole work both in the village and surrounding areas (eg Lilbourne). However, potholes will remain an issue for the future.  Residents need to continue to be reminded to report problems through the YPC website or directly through Fix My Street

Other

  • Railings – the railings opposite the school were damaged by a delivery van reversing into them. Northants Highways have removed the damaged parts and put tape round.  Estimated time for full repair is up to 6 months.  The school has been informed.
  • Work has started on the electronic gate for the bridleway at the end of Hillmorton Lane.

Solar farm

Positive meeting held on solar farm – 2nd June.  There are a number of companies involved in the development with Lightrock seemingly a sub-contractor for the application.  The main investor and ultimate owner is Bluefield.  The meeting was with a Bluefield Investment Associate and their Head of Engineering.  No construction company had been appointed at the time of our meeting.  It was however anticipated that ‘enabling works’ (fences etc) would take place this year with actual construction starting in 2022 and lasting for c6 months.

It was agreed that a further meeting would take place once the construction company had been appointed to enable discussions on traffic management and potential highway damage and any other concerns (eg flooding, environment).  It was also agreed that community liaison was essential in order to address and alleviate any resident anxieties.

The £10k Community Fund was also discussed and Bluefield will report back on this.

A follow up email has been sent (26/06/210 to request an update)

  • Whiterock Homes (Hillmorton Lane development)
  • Awaiting planning confirmation

Cllr Nigel Mercer Report

Neighbourhood Watch and PLR report

This month there were quite a few break ins and burglaries that got shared to the village noticeboard.

We also now know who our Police Community Support Officer is (PCSO) and I am making contact with him this week. PCSO 7065 Craig Egdell, Neighbourhood Policing Team, Daventry Rural Officer.

I have also now contacted PLRs and NW folks in the nearby villages, to gauge interest in forming a WhatsApp group for locally disseminating information that is particularly relevant to our area.  So far, positive responses, so I’ll be forming the WhatsApp group very soon.  I’ll invite PC Craig Egdell to join as well.

We have been offered new NW signs to put up in the village.  After a walk around I think our existing ones seem to be in good condition but I think that there a few extra places that we could put some.

Clerk’s Report

CEMETERY

Cemetery ashes sign

I am having no joy with getting the sign back of the old contractor.  I will persevere.

Cemetery Headstone Complaint

I contacted the next of kin regarding an unsafe headstone.  She asked that the PC get it secured and invoice her, which I did.  We now have the son denying any liability.  I am dealing with this.

Cemetery headstone inspection training

It is best practice that the Burial Officer plus one other is trained in headstone inspections.  The recommended training is with BRAAM.  I have contacted them for training details and costs but to date cannot get a response.

TRAINING

I have attended many free webinars this month:

  • HMRC – Payroll expenses and benefits
  • Northampton Virtual Funding Fayre:
  • Rural Support Services and Village Hall Advice
  • Tesco Community Grants and SEMLEP Community Grants
  • Lloyds Bank Foundation
  • Office of Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner
  • The National Lottery Community Fund
  • Children in Need
  • Central Coop and Coop group

AUDIT

The 2020/21 audit documentation has been submitted to the external auditor and published on our website.

MAINTENANCE CONTRACTOR

The previous contractor will just not respond to me. As stated above, he is holding the Cemetery ashes sign, along with the bridleway no vehicles sign.  I will continue different ways to resolve this.

The new contractor is not interested in small ground maintenance work.  I have made a proposal to solve this with a new contractor on this agenda as we have many outstanding jobs that need doing.

GRASS

There has been some teething problems with Norse not cutting all the areas they should but Julie kindly took photos and I have been liaising with Norse who came out straight away and rectified the issues.  Going forwards they are now a lot clearer on what/where we cut so there should be no more problems.